Sunday, June 17, 2007

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes!


Thursday evening I raised the top of our camping trailer trailer to go inside and take inventory of things we would need on our yearly extended family camp-out.

I got it about 2' up when out came a swarm of wasps. They sent me running, chasing me around the trailer and across the yard.

One got in my hair and when I went to swat it away I also swatted my glasses off my face and into the blurry unknown.

About half an hour later, having finally found my glasses, I used a jet nozzle on the hose to blast the two hives I saw out of the trailer.
I figured I'd let them dissipate over night and finish my job in the morning.

Friday morning, having languished much too long in the tub, I decided to wait until after work since I was leaving at noon and there would still be time before Rin got home.

I went out at after work to find a horde of wasps working hard to restore my destruction, plus a new batch I hadn't seen swarming out of the end of the awning enclosure.

Due to the trailer being parked along a wooden fence I didn't have room to run away after opening the awning cover so I decided it would be best to take the trailer out front on the street.

I had to almost kneel down to stay below their flight paths as I jacked up the trailer and hitched it to my truck.

Once out front I dropped the awning cover and ran like hell as about 200 or so wasps came swarming out.

After knocking 3 more hives out I was able to do my survey and then close the trailer up.

As we drove away the wasps were already trying to reestablish.




Returning from our camping trip, as I was unhitching the trailer, the wasps were already beginning to swarm back into the awning cover.
Sheesh!

Anybody have an idea for a natural wasp repellent?

I hate to use poison spray, but this wasp thing has to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment