Friday, April 27, 2007

What is Happiness?

by BB2
In our everyday lives we strive for happiness, but are we looking in the right places?
Do money and possessions make us happy? Or power? A big car or boat? How about a $120 a plate dinner? A 60" plasma TV set?

Think about it!

Somalia - a bowl of rice, Bangladesh - a thatched roof against the monsoon, Iraq - a restful night without the sounds of car bombs and gunshots, Palestine - a piece of land to call ones own, Chechnya - ones own government, Africa - an end to AIDS, South America - freedom from the drug lords, Iran - freedom of the fear of being nuked.

Happiness comes in many forms, but what is true happiness?

I believe it comes from within and is an acceptance of ones self and ones place in the world. It can't be bought or sold. All the rest may bring comfort but until one has self acceptance and self value true happiness is elusive.

Some of the happiest people I have met are those with the least.

Years ago one of my friends lost his house and everything he owned in a fire. I was amazed when he told me how good he felt, how it was the most liberating thing in his life. Though mystified at the time, over the years I have come to understand his perspective.

There is an old saying: I used to cry because I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet.

I used to cry because I had no gloves until I met a man with no arms!



I think he's happy - what about you?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment